A plugin for Amarok 1 and 2 that updates your Pidgin status message with what
you are currently listening to.
If you want to update your Gaim status message, look for the AmarokGaim
- Amarok (Tested on Amarok 1.4.10 or Amarok 2.0-SVN-Neon Jan 14 2009)
- Pidgin with D-Bus support (Tested on Pidgin 2.5.2)
- Python with D-Bus support (Tested on Python 2.5.2 (Should also work with
- DCOP client (If using Amarok 1. Tested on KDE 3.5.10)
- Optionally depends on chardet for better character
- Supported variables in STATUS_MESSAGE are:
- $lyrics variable displays a single line from the lyrics of the song. The
lyrics must be fetched by Amarok first.
- More configuartion options can be found in AmarokPidgin.ini, which can be
found in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts-data/
- To edit the list of expletives edit censor_words in
AmarokPidgin.ini. Words are | separated
All variables that go in the STATUS_MESSAGE can now be filtered by a user
supplied function. This is done using the configuration options
variable_map and variable_imports. variable_map is a function
which accepts 2 strings (Variable, Value) and returns a
string. variable_imports runs possible imports required for
variable_map = lambda x,y : y and ("'"+y+"'") or ''
variable_map = lambda x,y : y or ("Unknown " + x.capitalize())
variable_map = lambda x,y : ' '.join(['i' + s.capitalize() for s in y.split()])
AmarokPidgin now has rudimentary Amarok 2 support. It does not support many of
the variables, updating your buddy icon and configuration from Amarok. To
configure you have to edit AmarokPidgin.ini, which can be found in
This software is distributed under the GPLv2. Please read COPYING for more
- Version 0.2.2 (Development)
- Buddy Icon support for Amarok 2.
- Passive Popup in Amarok 1 when a user tries to configure who does not have
- Version 0.2.1 (03/03/2009)
- Executible bit was not switched on! So could not install in Amarok 1.
- Version 0.2 (11/02/2009)
- Your Buddy Icon can now be set to the currently playing song’s album
cover. Set cover_icon to true in the config file to enable.
- Made Media status type “tune”. To update:
- Stop AmarokPidgin in Amarok
- Delete Media status in Pidgin
- Start AmarokPidgin in Amarok
- New variables $rating and $score.
- Version 0.1.9 (16/05/2008)
- New variables: $year, $nowPlaying, $lyricsURL and $lyrics. Based on a
patch by Hieu Hoang.
- Variable Map. Based on work by Ryan Davis.
- Seems to work with Pidgin 2.4.0 now.
- Media status is of type Avaliable now by default.
- Version 0.1.8 (09/02/2008)
- Can use chardet library to decode strings.
- Testing of the new decoding routine thanks to David Partain.
- Fixed bug with status not returning to Media.
- Quick hack to prevent crashes on debugging output.
- Version 0.1.7 (02/08/2007)
- Closes script when Amarok sends SIGTERM. (Thanks to Kiyoshi Murata)
- Only media status is updated. No changing status anymore on song change.
- Pausing only changes status if status is on Media. (Thanks to Vasilis
- Version 0.1.6 (27/05/2007)
- Changed project name to AmarokPidgin
- Updated codebase to use purple. With thanks to the following
- Tony Bassette
- Thomas Bird
- Luigi Capriotti
- Version 0.1.5 (05/04/2007)
- Can now change nick instead of status message.
- Updates to unicode handling.
- Updates status type if necessary (Thanks to Vasilis Vasaitis)
- Version 0.1.4 (20/11/2006)
- Fixed a bug with misbehaving kdialogs. (Thanks to Kartik Mohta)
- Now changes Gaim’s status back too default when script closes.
- Updates status if a song is playing when the script starts.
- Version 0.1.3 (14/11/2006)
- Now can block expletives in status message.
- Fixed a bug when reading in the configuration file.
- Version 0.1.2 (02/11/2006)
- Fixed unicode strings bug. (Thanks too Tim Su)
- Added basic configuration
- Version 0.1.1 (30/10/2006)
- Forgot to comment out logging =/
- Version 0.1 (25/10/2006)